Thursday, March 20, 2014

Hollywood Glamour for a Florida Bedroom

Last post I showed you guys what Connie's bedroom looked like when the house was owned by two previous families.
Today I will show you what our plans are to transform the space into Connie's serene resting place.
She wanted peaceful.
She wanted pretty.
She wanted me to talk a little less.....
two out of three ain't bad!!!!!
This is the floorplan that she approved.

Excuse my sloppy drafting, I am retired and didn't have a template......

This room has been a lot of fun for me because it is outside my usual style.
Connie is going for a different feel in this house than she had me do on her last two.

We chose an upholstered bed with nickel nail head trim.
Here's a shot of it in the store, Pineapples and Palms, where we saw it.
As Kevin from Beverly Hills would say...."Very chi chi chi!!!!!"
We are having it upholstered in a creamy white fabric.
The club chairs, across from the bed, are going to be in the aqua and cream print.
Connie also liked the white chests of drawers we saw, so we're putting one against the wall, next to the doors leading to the pool.
It's from Bungalo 5, as are the night stands and desk
The chest is called the Savoy medium 3-drawer.
The night stands are going to be in the same white finish.
They are called Piedmont 1-drawer.
For the true glam factor, we are doing a mirrored table as Connie's desk.
It's called the Console Laura Mirror.
Connie just wanted a small surface to set up her laptop.
If I hang a mirror over it, it will have the effect of being a vanity.

Here's a collage I made of all the furniture in the room.....

We still need to find the table that goes between the club chairs, but that's for next season,
We will fly Drape It (my workroom of choice) down to measure the windows for the draperies.

Connie and I are fighting over the box over the doors.
She doesn't want to get rid of it.
She claims only I notice it.
I pointed out that several readers of my blog didn't like it either.
And she said.......
"That's because you pointed it out!!!!!!!"
So, I thought I'd point it out again!!!!!
I think I'm going to loose this battle.
Only time will tell.......
On that note,
Latah, Gatah
Photobucket

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

That box is horrendous. But, then, I'm not digging the style she is going for with this house anyway. I'll be glad when you're back to the Betsy style I love. I'm not saying that it's not fun to step outside the box (or hideous window box) once in a while but none of this says 'cozy' to me. Maybe if I had multiple houses I'd want something different, though.

Anonymous said...

I hate that box and I hated it before you pointed it out! I vote it goes!
Thanks,
Sarah

Dolores said...

My husband would say that the box is just ‘fine’, but then again, he doesn’t think the ductless air conditioner that is soo prominent high up on the wall is an eyesore either, rather he appreciates its efficiency in cooling just the bedroom.Trust me- like that big box in Connie’s bedroom- it is ugly! But I will live with it too..
I will be really interested in how you will put your stamp on this contemporary design, Betsy! But I know it will be a cheerful functional space..

Anonymous said...

I noticed the box before you pointed it out, and I hated it too! Do you think you can remove it without leaving a big scar?

fran sakis said...

I think that there is such a contrast with the colors in the floral drapes and the beige box that it sticks out like a sore thumb. If you pick a softer color and design in a creamy, softer look it will fade into the background. What about covering the box like a valance with fabric.

td said...

Hate the box, but hope you can find some way to camouflage it! At least your friendship has stood the test of a few houses!!! I'm liking the style she's going for and am shooting for something similar in my own boudoir with a little more frenchiness thrown in. It's very floridian and calming. It's nice sometimes not to be overwhelmed with stuff, expecially in such a relaxed atmosphere. I also think this style suits the architecture of the house itself. It's the mark of the great decorator you are that you can get it right no matter what the style, much like the beautiful MB you finished up north.

Bonnie Schulte said...

I noticed the box too, and thought it looked odd. Glad I'm not the only one. I thought at first, I had no "style" cuz it was there, and thought "you" liked it.

Anonymous said...

I understand you may lose this discussion. But in my opinion, the box over the drapes looks very odd. And yes, I did notice it on my own. As I am not a decorator at any level, it kind of has to stick out for me to see it.

I think this home will be lovely and suit your friend to a T when it is finished. And I can see where it would be interesting to do a different style, especially when you get to work with someone you have so much fun with. Gail

Schaughn said...

The box is awful and must die.

Thehouseofhampton said...

Get rid of it! Enough said.
Sharon

penny said...

Could you turn it into some kind of upholstered cornice box? With matching drapes? Because it really sticks out as it is now. I'm surprised your friend likes it, she seems to have better taste than that, normally. I do think the new room is going to be very pretty and can't wait to see it all finished, even if that won't happen 'til next year. Watch out, you may find yourself "unretired" when it's all done. :)

Unknown said...

I'm not so worried about 'the box' but if I had to buy an upholstered headboard, I'd leave the plastic covering on it for fear of getting dirt, oils from hair, fingerprints, etc. all over it! Plaaaa-ese! Not a light colored fabric headboard! Pretty, but soooo impractical.
Vicki in Louisville KY

Beth C. said...

Dear Connie: Snap out of it. Best, Beth C.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention. I really like the furniture choices. I did try to pay attention to detail. The bed and nightstands have the same kind of feet/legs. The dressers and mirrored desk also have similar decorative feet. The circle carvings on the dressers and the rings on the nightstand mimic each other a bit.

I have spent hours going over your various blogs. I love them. My husband and I then went through our house and rehung 3/4 of the paintings and various other wall ornaments. I have moved things around, added in some areas, deleted in others. My husband's comment was that there is no man cave area left in our house. It is all coming together as our home. YES!!! Gail

Anonymous said...

I love your normal style. I like cozy. This is different, but to each his own. Can we see more of your friend's house in the north, that I like.

Shirley
Atlanta, GA

lynngweeny said...

Box=ugly
Dump it.

Carol said...

The photos at the bottom of your last post (pics from 2 owners ago) show curtains that are much higher and help to disguise the box. The box was still there but much less noticeable. Right now it sticks out like a sore thumb, and yes, I also noticed it before I read anything or saw the close-up pic of it. I think your friend has lived with it long enough that she now doesn't notice it -- but she is the only one!

Anonymous said...

Betsy, take that box down and make a planter out of it. That thing sucks where it is. Looks like a tumor. Ann

Anonymous said...

I noticed it immediately....and then the "not my kind of drapery" drapes. Sorry client, listen to Betsy on this one: Remove it pronto!

Holly said...

Betsy....you didn't even need to point it out. It screams all by its lonesome. Can't wait to see what you do with the room.

Anonymous said...

The box is ugly. The end. Marilyn in Mt. Vernon, VA

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...