Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Well Stocked Tropical Bar

This is my bar.
I have a bar, so that when booze hounds
 (you know who you are!) come to my house,
 I can offer them something other that Crystal Light, or Diet Coke.
 

Although I showed you this yesterday.....
I just thought I'd show the before picture again.....


when I went to the liquor store to stock up on a properly supplied bar, I was standing in the isles, looking at aaallllll those bottles.
I was trying to figure out which brands to buy.
Now that I only have the occasional cocktail, I don't care as much about which brand of inebriant I purchase.
SO.....
I did what any decorator in her right mind would do.....
I chose the bottles in the prettiest colors!!!!! 



I'll show you a closer shot!!!!
I love the color of the gin bottle.
I could claim that it's a little low, 'cuz June and Larry just visited me....
but they were drinking vodka.


A well stocked bar needs a bottle opener.....
and a well stocked tropical paradise bar needs a parrot  bottle opener!!!!


Here he is all excited (this is an r-rated reference)
('course, the cork screw is sticking out the wrong way!!)
Maybe not......
It's been so long since I dated.......


Here's my shot glass.
My brother is an ophthalmologist, 
I bought this to give to him.....
but being the generous person I am, I kept if for myself!!!


I love collecting cocktail shakers. I know lots of folks do. I have never used mine, I just look at it. I don't want to have to hand wash it. If I make a mixed drink, I do it in a pitcher, although.....
I am like James Bond.....
I prefer my martinis shaken, not stirred.
This is a stainless chrome plated Art Deco shaker with a bakelite handle and knob.
Ah thank it is vera cooolllll!!!!!


These birds are stamped Brazil on their bottoms.
I don't know anything else about them, except I bought them on ebay, they are pottery, I like them.


I bought these lamps a long time ago, they have been in several houses with me. The poor lamp shades are hanging on by a thread, 
(ok, not a thread, by a piece of tape)
The bases are carved jade, and go great with my tropical theme.....
Sometimes, If I hang on to something I like long enough, it ends up having someplace to call home!!!!!


Sooooooooo..........
I wanted a pair of wall brackets that had the west indies vibe. 
Ya know what I mean????
I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for, so I just kept poking around ebay, trying to keep an open mind.
LOOKY WHAT I FOUND!!!!!
Talk about your tropical flavor!!!!!
I got them really cheap, 'cuz no one else wanted them!!!!!
THE FOOLS!!!!!
I was up north when I found them, so I had them shipped to my friend Lissette's house. I told her to go ahead and open them up.
She thought I had lost my mind.
But when she saw them hung on the wall
 she changed her tune!!!!


What good is a wall bracket without a pair of parrots?????
Just one more pair of birds to add to my collection of 1940's pottery.
I love these guys so much, I found another pair that I put in my guest room.
(Pictures to be shown in the near future!!!)


Of course.....
in the middle of this whole mish mass, 
is my sunflower painting!!!
This is an original Van Gogh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REALLY!!!
(OK, I'm lying)


And to top it off is another majolica plate. I wanted some sort of
 tropical leaf,
 but a different one than my water lily plates.....
I think these are cool, they look like banana leaves.


Now, going back to my table setting.....
The bowl, of course, is from Anthropology.
The plate I already talked about, 
it's from England, called "Forest Flowers"
made by Woods Burslam.

But I got questions about my flatware.
I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT MY NEW FLATWARE!!!
Thank you for being interested, because I just found it!!!
At my very exclusive boutique.....
Home Goods.

There was one package of 4 place settings, and I needed eight.
Soooooooooo.....
I'm thinking "#$%#$%#$%"
I finally have found flatware I want......
I finally have found flatware that will work.....
I finally have found flatware that is well priced.....
and there are only 4 sets of it!!!
Soooooooooooo.....
Being the terrier like decorator that I am,
I went digging through all the boxes.....
AND FOUND ANOTHER BOX OF 4!!!!!!!
YIPPEE!!!!

So on that uplifting note,
I will end here.
Have a lovey rest of your Sunday, 
and I'll see you guys Tuesday.

Later, Gator
Photobucket
Partying with:

 {nifty button}It's Overflowing

UndertheTableandDreaming
you are talking too much Boogieboard Cottage

 Between Naps On the Porch


17 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Beautiful bar and your accessories are all perfect. Love the tablescape too. Hugs, Marty

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love that you chose the bottles that were the prettiest! Beautiful accessories and table setting.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

LOOOOOVE those lamps! And the brackets, and the parrots and everything, obviously:) I WANT the flatware. I ahve the brown bamboo. XO, Pinky

Anonymous said...

I think those brackets are upside down-most leaves and flowers grow up not down-but I'm not a decorator and I know you can put your things up any way you #$% well want !!! Great house.

Victoria said...

Love it all the pretty bottles,the brackets and if they are upside down I like 'em that way. And I love the flatware on my way to my Home Goods now.

Betsy Speert said...

Brackets have to be hung with the backplate facing down.
It's a matter of mechanics.
The weight of the item pushes down on the shelf, pushing the backplate into the wall, helping to keep the $&@ thing up.
If it were hung with the backplate above the shelf, the weight of the object on the shelf would cause the bracket to pull away from the wall.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. Your comment about the bottle opened just made my day!
Stella B.

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Thanks for joining the party, Betsy. It's always fun to see what you have to show! Your bar area is gorgeous.-------Shannon

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Visiting from Cozy Home Party. Really enjoyed your clever post! Great tropical decor bar.

Cindy said...

Fabulous, Betsy!!! Your rooms are all beautiful and elegant in a colorful tropical way.
Hugs, Cindy

Amanda Dale said...

Love it! Thanks so much for linking up to Cowgirl Up! Hope to see you again next week!
Thanks,
Amanda
The Ivy Cottage Blog
www.theivycottageblog.blogspot.com

Mir said...

Despite all your mis-spelled (did I spell that wrong?) words, you spelled ophthalmologist right! My dad would be very proud.

Martha said...

Your bar is nice and the prettiest bottles seem to have the best spirits! Love those lamps -- those are amazing! I like your table too. It was a great visit!

Alycia Nichols said...

Hey, Betsy...if you hever find some of that flatware with the black handle, buy it for me and I'll send you the money for it plus shipping. I was in the same boat at Home Goods but wasn't as fortunate to find another box. :-( You are SO funny! The parrot all excited...hilarious!!! I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that thing! :-) At least the pretty bottles have good spirits in them. I like Skyy Vodka. I'm not a big gin drinker, but Bombay Sapphire is a good one when the occasion calls for it. So you did good...even if you just bought them for the pretty bottles! I love how you bought the shot glass for your brother but kept it for yourself!!! That's FUNNY!!!!!! I do that all the time! You have GOT to use that cool cocktail shaker. I'm sitting here listening to some cocktail jazz as I write and thinking how the sound of that shaker mixing up a martini in the background would make the music that much sweeter! :-) Have a great weekend!

Marlis said...

having just left another blog and sidtracked to find the bottle she showed, i totally understand the pick the pretty bottle routine.. Your bar looks amazing. Really like a vacations spot. xo marlis

Babs said...

Great "West Indies" look. The tropical pieces with the dark wood is a cozy and beautiful look for the Keys...or anywhere. Love the green bamboo flatware and your crazy bottle opener...you're so funny.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Betsy, so enjoying taking a break for doing taxes (kill me now) and looking through your beautiful posts. I was admiring your bedroom thinking it reminds me of the beautiful homes I've visited in Palm Beach FL when I came to a post where you called it your Florida room. I LOVE you decorating style. Love the green bamboo flatware. I just bought some a few weeks ago in Tuesday Morning and can't believe how many times I've already used it. You'll find you use it a lot for spring and summer. Enjoying your delightful posts!
Susan

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...